Monday, April 28, 2008

What scientists really mean ...

I'm sure I saw something similar before, but this spoof on scientific reporting from Genomicron is good for a laugh (and hopefully not too often true!). I list some of the better ones:

The statementWhat it really means
It has long been known...I haven't bothered to look up the reference
It is thought that ...I think so
It is generally thought that ...A couple of other people think so,too
It is not unreasonable to assume...If you believe this, you'll believe anything
Typical results are shownThe best results are shown
Three samples were chosen for further studyThe others didn't make sense, so we ignored them
Results obtained with the second sample must be interpreted with cautionI dropped it on the floor but managed to scoop most of it up
Correct within an order of magnitudeIncorrect
Stringent controls were implementedMy advisor was watching
I thank X for assistance with the experiments and Y for useful discussions on the interpretation of the dataX did the experiment and Y explained it to me

No comments:

Post a Comment