Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tyranny with manners

As I write this, the news that Charlton Heston is dead has just become known. I respected him and I enjoyed his movies. He seemed a real and substantial person, unlike most of Hollywood's actors. Everyone may not have agreed with his politics, but few could have doubted his integrity. My thoughts go out to his family.

The fact that he supported causes that were not always popular is reflected in this quote from his address to the Arizona State Legislature: "Political correctness is just tyranny with manners."

I also found much that I could agree with in another well-known Charlton Heston speech, this time to students at Harvard Law School.

Farewell Chuck.

Read a similar, but more comprehensive, view of Charlton Heston in Spiked.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, my friend. Charleton Heston was, and still is, an inspiration to freedom loving Americans, wherever they may be. Thank you for posting these great speeches so that they can be preserved and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete