Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Midmar Mile - again!

Last year I swam the Midmar Mile and vowed not to do another dam swim. It was for frogs, I said.

Here is part of it, the biggest open water swim in the world!

Photo from the Midmar Mile website.

Well, here I am again, not quite as fit as I should be, but preparing to swim the Midmar Mile again. Not that great an achievement, there are some octogenarians also taking part! In my case it's for a good cause; to get sponsorships to have an internet Wi-Fi linked notebook computer in every class in Muriel Brand School. This is the school of which I am the principal, a special school mainly for children with cerebral palsy. Every class has been challenged to get R5 000,00 (about $650,00) in sponsorships, which will buy a basic notebook computer. The sponsorships are coming in and while we shall probably not reach the target, we'll get some way to doing so.


My swim, for men 31 year and older (wish there was a separate one for the over 50's!) will be on Valentine's Day, 14 February. At least I won't be alone, Rolandi Greyvenstein (one of my teachers), my son and four of his school friends, as well as some of his teachers (Hoƫrskool die Anker - The Anchor High School) will also swim. In addition to this, we form part of the Blackfin Swimming Club contingent, probably about 30 swimmers in all.

Any reader of my humble blog who would like to contribute to the cause, can e-mail Muriel Brand School at mbrand at uskonet dot com for details on how to go about it. If we get enough computers, I can stick to the swimming pool in future!

4 comments:

  1. Just would like to commend you on your effort!
    I'm 17 and leaving tomorrow for Midmar mile from Cape Town to swim it for the first time.

    It's great to see people doing constructive things to help kids out.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the whole experience. Hals- und Beinbruch! (good luck).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My big sister Kelsey Kemp is doing the swim tomorrow for the first time. i am nervous for her. GOOD LUCK KELSEY from the whole family!!!!

    ReplyDelete