Monday, September 14, 2009

Foot-in-the-mouth disease

I remember as a child the campaigns in South Africa to eradicate foot-and-mouth disease. More common these days are foot-in-the-mouth disease.





Image from the howling latina.




Here are the Top 10 examples of celebrity nonsense from the Telegraph:

  • George Bush: "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

  • Arnold Schwarzenegger, in 2003: "I think that gay marriage should be between a man and a woman."

  • Donald Rumsfeld, in 2002: "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns: the ones we don't know we don't know."

  • Murray Walker, motor racing commentator: "The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."

  • John Motson, football commentator: "For those of you watching in black and white, Spurs are playing in yellow."

  • British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, explaing budget plans to lawmakers in July this year: "Total spending will continue to rise and it will be a zero percent rise in 2013-14."

  • Clinton, in 1998 grand jury testimony about Monica Lewinsky: "It depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If 'is' means 'is and never has been' that's one thing - if it means 'there is none', that was a completely true statement."

  • Cantona, 1995: "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

  • Bush, once again, in July 2001: "I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe - I believe what I believe is right."

  • Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, on British satirical gameshow Have I Got News for You in 2003: "I could not fail to disagree with you less."

  • Thank heavens there's no-one to follow me around and record the nonsense I may come up with from time to time!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment